canberrabirds

Grey Shrike-thrush - sexual dimorphism, or juvenile markings?

To: "'Denis Wilson'" <>, "'COG bird discussions'" <>
Subject: Grey Shrike-thrush - sexual dimorphism, or juvenile markings?
From: "Anthony Overs" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:00:05 +1100

Hi Denis

The bird looks like a two year old female. Black gape, bit of buff in the plumage, and a bit of streaking in the breast.

Male birds have an all black bill, females have the grey lower mandible.

A juvenile has completely streaked underparts, a one year old has heavily streaked breast and flanks.

Birds aged as three years old or older have virtually no streaking on the breast. At this age the male has white lores.

Cheers

Anthony