canberrabirds

Bird banding at Gluepot

To: <>
Subject: Bird banding at Gluepot
From: "Overs, Anthony (REPS)" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:10:01 +1100

Hi all

Last week a group of us went to Gluepot Reserve for a few days of bird banding. Mark Clayton, Carole Elliott, Richard, Mark and Brett Allen and myself from Canberra, John Rawsthorne from Forbes and Peter Ewin from Mildura joined South Australian bird bander Wally Klau at the reserve. Wally manages the banding projects at the reserve.

We saw some great birds. Highlights at Gluepot:

- Red-lored Whistler (also banded)

- Gilberts Whistler (also banded)

- Black-eared Miner (also banded)

- Chestnut Quail-thrush (also banded)

- Southern Scrub Robin (also banded)

- Chestnut-crowned Babbler (also banded)

- White-fronted Honeyeater (also banded)

- Masked Woodswallow (also banded)

- Yellow-plumed Honeyeater (also banded) THE common bird

- White-browed Treecreeper

- Crested Bellbird

- Striated Grasswren

- Spotted Nightjar several flying around our camp in the evenings and mornings

- Splendid Fairy-wren

There were also plenty of sand goannas (Varanus gouldii) around Gluepot too.

Saw some good birds on the Hay plain too including:

- five Black Falcons harassing a Wedgie

- a few Australian Pratincoles

- large groups of Banded Lapwings

- a few pairs of Major Mitchells Cockatoo

Mark, Carole and I kept a trip list for our vehicle. We saw 142 species, starting and finishing at the ACT border. We did 2,500km and did not see a Black-shouldered Kite!

I took loads of photos and propose to give a talk on our trip at a COG meeting some time in the near future. Heres a sneak preview photo: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2048791956&size=l

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony Overs