canberrabirds

Koel in Fisher

To: "'COG'" <>
Subject: Koel in Fisher
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:10:12 +1100

Excellent.  However, for reasons I have given elsewhere, my preference would be for ‘koel’, as in ‘magpie’ and ‘kookaburra’.

That would give us the three broad schools –

1)      Those who meticulously transcribe the ‘standard’ name (Christidis & Boles being the most favoured authority, others favouring more recent suggestions);

2)      Those who feel obliged to have a go at the standard name, but often get it wrong (eg ‘Kookaburra’, ‘Horsefield’s Bronze-Cuckoo’);

3)      Those who yearn for shorter more convenient labels in the hope they will become widely used and recognised (in which I count Roger and myself).

I am not one to lecture others on how they should express themselves, even accepting without inquiry or demur the occasional reference to ‘goodies’ (whatever they are).

However, I would like to see a little more poetry and imagination.  ‘Bump-beaks’ is good.  Then there is ‘Brain-fever Bird’.  According to several sources that is a name used in India for the koel in areas where the ‘true’ Brain-fever Bird (the Common Hawk-Cuckoo) does not occur.

Anyway, one (at least) of them has been calling around here, pre-dawn, midday or late afternoon for about a month.