canberrabirds

Different-looking blackish ones

To: <>
Subject: Different-looking blackish ones
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:33:49 +1100

Last week I followed up COG’s visit to Oolambeyan at this time last year, with a little reconnoitre of my own.  There were more of some species and less or none of others, and definitely more flies than last year.  Predictably, mobile flocks of hundreds of woodswallows, white-browed outnumbering masked 4 to 1.   Many parrots, particularly blue-bonnets, red-rumped and ringnecks, frequently feeding on Paterson’s Curse, itself not abundant but springing up along drainage lines.  Small numbers of all 3 chats.

Along the eastern boundary were a lot of Australian Pratincoles.  One morning I counted over 20, but there were probably a lot more.  Often when I stopped the vehicle I would hear their high-pitched ‘fee-pee-u’ and on scanning the plain would find one, then another, then another, with perhaps another pair flying over.

About a score of Black Kites were concentrated around the homestead, the skies above resembling those of Bombay or Cairo.  A few active nests were in the tops of the taller callitris.

This time there were no huge numbers of Brown Falcons feeding on grasshoppers, but just the odd one here and there.  Early one morning I found this different-looking blackish pair (note short legs, large feet):

Bl F .jpg

Despite the efforts of Kylie and Michelle, no ‘wanderers were found this time.  As a trial walk across the most promising paddock was unsuccessful, this might not be a good augury for the Oolambeyan Plains-wanderer option at the Leeton Bird Fair, but who knows.  The little chaps can turn up any time.  Our spotlit investigations were not without interest as a Curl Snake was found one night and a Hooded Scaly-Foot the next.  (The latter, I should mention for the pencil-ready novice, although sounding mouth-wateringly tickable is, alas, not a bird.)

 I also called at Willandra NP.  On the way there I found a flock of about 10 Superb Parrots drinking at a puddle in the middle of the road.  Passing within a couple of metres, I stopped just beyond, and was pondering on the death-wish of this species when it occurred to me that the scene could be in Canberra, except that 3 Major Mitchells then flew over.  Hang on  -  it still could have been Canberra, if only there were a few cockatiel around!

Another interesting sight was by that large hayshed near the entrance to the NP.  A lot of hay was spread on the ground and about 50 Black-tailed Native Hens were strutting around and pecking away at it, for all the world like chooks in a farmyard.  Ready flyers, they soon took off for a nearby farm dam.