canberrabirds

Blitz outcomes for K13

To: COG list <>
Subject: Blitz outcomes for K13
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:25:30 +1100
Hi Coggers

I was very interested in Jenny's report on the Red-capped Robins now having three breeding pairs at Mulligan's/Goorooyaroo. Could well be harbingers of other permanent arrivals, to be matched, perhaps, with permanent departures.

My first blitz weekend and very enjoyable.

Went with Henry Nix to the ANBG yesterday morning. Then trekked to various bits of K13, including LBG foreshores, Black Mountain NR, Turner suburb, Gossan Hill NR and Bruce Ridge NR. Noted that the Southern end of Black Mountain Peninsula is in K14 and that it had a couple of breeders so knocked up a quick sheet for that as well. Finally, noted that L12 apparently did not have a taker so did a quick squizz there. Being unfamiliar with the grid, I took pot luck on where to go and ended up behind the golf course which rewarded me a view of the breeding colony of Australian White Ibis and a pair of Australian Grebes building a nest.

On the whole, the expected species turned up. No Long-toed Stints or Red-backed Kingfishers! There were a few species not recorded that I had hoped for: Red-rumped Parrot, Powerful Owl, Tawny Frogmouth, Varied Sittella. Double-barred Finch and Crescent Honeyeater. Of these, the most notable no-shows were Red-rumped Parrots which used to be reliable on Black Mountain Peninsula and Double-bars which were also reliable for Gossan Hill.

Funniest moment for the weekend was a rather harassed looking Australian Hobby hunched on its nest surrounded by a cacacophony of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and some very interested Pied Currawongs.

Sixty-seven species were recorded for K13.

The most pleasing thing was racking up 52 breeding records for 32 species over the three grids. (Some of these records having been monitored in the weeks before the blitz).

The most exciting breeding record (in the ornithological sense) was co for a pair of Dollarbirds. Found a Crimson Rosella nest with the entrance at knee height. I could look straight down the hollow to about ground level. Four beautiful white eggs. A nearby penthouse suite was occupied by Common Mynas.

I am looking forward to hearing how fellow Coggers fared and would like to take this opportunity to thank Barbara (and any others working in the background) for organising the COG blitz.

Con