canberrabirds

Whistling Kites; White Ibis

To: <>
Subject: Whistling Kites; White Ibis
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:28:34 +1000
Two chicks confirmed in the Whistling Kite nest off Jerabomberra Creek.  When I went there today as part of the Blitz I saw not one but two chicks clearly visible, while both adult birds were perched in that same dead tree some 50 metres away on the other side of the channel.    As an added interest I also discovered that in the same general area the warring Wagtails and Magpie-larks of October 17 had nests within a few metres of each other.

About 90 mins. after today's first viewing I was paddling back down the creek proper one of the adult birds flew directly overhead carrying what I suspected was food.  I watched it disappear down through the trees in the general direction of where I thought the nest would be, so I decided to visit one more time and found both youngsters standing upright in the nest.  Did this indicate they had been fed?  I wasn't sure.  One of the adults was perched in the dead tree on the other side of the channel where I had seen them before, but there was no sign of the second bird.  On my final paddle along the far eastern bank of Lake Burley Griffin I found the other bird perched low down on a large dead log  - a somewhat grisly sighting as the bloodied remnant of its dinner with a quite large grey wing attached were clearly visible thru the binoculars.  While I was viewing I wasn't paying attention and drifted too close, whereupon it decided to vacate the spot, rose about half a metre then dropped back down to grab its meal before heading back towards the channel.  The wing put me in mind of a Wood Duck, but the Kite was certainly not carrying the whole bird when it flew over me 20 minutes previously.  And I have no idea whether a Whistling Kite would predate on a bird as big as a wood duck.

I'm not at all familiar with Australian White Ibis breeding habits but they may be establishing a breeding colony in close proximity to the abovementioned birds.  They appeared to be tending several untidy platforms of sticks/dead vegetation.  About 40 birds involved.  About 20 Straw-necked Ibis and a pair of Royal Spoonbills in breeding plumage also in the same immediate vicinity.

I also flushed what may have been a Spotless Crake near the Tadorna Hide but I'm by no means certain - I only mention it for the possible benefit of others birding in that area.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330