canberrabirds

"Fish Eagles" at Sullivans Creek

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: "Fish Eagles" at Sullivans Creek
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:34:55 +1000
This afternoon, following a torrid interview with a sociologist at ANU, I took my binoculars and sought peace with the world as I meandered along Sullivans Creek. A young lady came jogging by and said, "Are you birdwatching? Look, there're a couple of big eagle birds eating a fish back there." I thanked her and hurried to investigate as visions of White-bellied Sea-Eagles danced in my head.

I found a large, decomposing European Carp on the creek bank. The "big eagle birds" turned out to be a pair of White-faced Herons, and they were having a right-royal feast of rotting fish. A pair of Dusky Moorhens scampered in and out between the herons, grabbing morsels of sun-ripened carp.

Be warned, the following is not exactly dining-table talk, but I believe it's worth reporting. Suddenly, one of the herons vented its bowels. In a flash, the moorhens raced in and gobbled up the heron's excrement. As they say in the classics, I ain't never seen the likes. Well, actually, I have witnessed something similar. On a few occasions, in lambing paddocks, I've seen Australian Ravens peck a young lamb on its fundament. The lamb bleated, defecated and bolted, and the ravens supped on its leavings. I apologise to any member of the chat group who's offended by my scatological report.

John Layton