canberrabirds

Black-faced Monarch

To: "Wendy & Stewart May" <>, <>
Subject: Black-faced Monarch
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:47:08 +1000
Thank you for posting this sighting, Stewart - a great bird to have in your
garden!  It is not surprising that you haven't seen one there before because
they don't turn up in the ACT very often.  I believe the last one recorded was
in 2004 in the Botanic Gardens.  Thanks to Martin Butterfield who phoned and
provided some further information about the location, and thanks to your
neighbours, Alastair Smith & I located your house and found the bird in the
front garden of the house next door.  I managed to get a few photos, mostly
silhouettes as the bird had the sun behind it and stayed in fairly dense
vegetation.

Regards
Frank Antram

PS  We did knock on your door but you must have been out.  We did, however,
meet your daughter when she drove up, and also your neighbour who offered to
let us into his backyard.