canberrabirds

Mt Ginnini - Olive Whistler

To: <>
Subject: Mt Ginnini - Olive Whistler
From: Damien Farine <>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:53:07 +1000
Milburn and I made an early trip up to Mt Ginnini this morning hoping to pick up an Olive Whistler.  Our planning paid off and just after 6am an Olive Whistler was found in full song in the early rays of sunlight.  Also present were numerous Red Wattlebirds, Flame Robins, a Grey Currawong, many singing lyrebirds and White-eared Honeyeaters.

Heading back down the mountain we picked up a Spotted Quail-thrush just over the NSW border, a Superb Lyrebird back in the ACT, Flame Robins, Grey Fantails (nesting), a Leaden Flycatcher, a male Satin Bowerbird, and the usual gully residents.  No Satin Flycatchers were seen or heard.  Several Dusky Woodswallows and Scarlet Robins were present in the open areas of ex-pine forest.

Three Black-tailed Native-hens were still present at Urriara Homestead, however no cuckoos seen or heard at Urriara Crossing.

The day was wonderfully finished off with the Painted Snipe at Jerrabomberra!

On a less positive note, there was a large amount of disturbance from feral pigs on the slopes of Mt Ginnini, and some were heard nearby.

Mammals included Swamp Wallabies, Red-necked Wallabies, Eastern Grey Kangaroos, and a Platypus.

Damien

Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?