canberrabirds

About the alula

To: <>
Subject: About the alula
From: Damien Farine <>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:57:02 +1000
I thought I add a few comments on Philip's email, hoping to explain why the alula is important.

The alula is in fact a rather special development and believed to be one of the key features why birds fly as well as they do.  This is so because it allows birds to increase the angle of attack of the wing and the delay the stalling caused by turbulence on the top of the wing, allowing increased lift and thus flight at a lower speed and increased control.  It occurs by creating a slot at the leading edge of the wing, which causes a high-speed jet of air to be driven across the top of the wing and the pressure to be decreased (lift is caused by the phenomena of a wing caused high pressure underneath and low pressure above which pushes it upwards).  It also helps birds in take-off and landing.

Bats, in fact, can achieve the same effect by "lowering membrane parts anterior to the arm and third digit by lowering the thumb and by pronation of the manus" (Lindhe Norberg 2002).

In fact, it is widely believed that the evolution of the alula is what allowed birds to begin flying, as opposed to gliding.  The oldest species known to have an alula is named after it: Eoalulavis hoyasi and some birds have since evolved to discard the alula; most notably the Hummingbirds, as they flap their wings on both downbeat and upbeat, effectively making the alula redundant.

There are plenty of references explaining this better than I can, here's some for a start:

Lindhe Norburg, U.M. (2002) Structure, Form, and Function of Flight in Engineering and the Living World, Journal of Morphology 252:52-81.

Savile, D.B.O. (1956) Adaptive Evolution in the Avian Wing, Evolution 11:212-224.