canberrabirds

An ovoid puzzle

To: <>
Subject: An ovoid puzzle
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:30:28 +1000
So someone finds an egg and feels it so ornithologically important that they want to clog up my computer for 15 minutes sending a photo of an egg, when the description alone tells enough of the story. Big deal.

OK some possibilities.

A person put it there.
A raven put it there and then got distracted and hasn't come back for it yet.
A chicken put it there. As in chicken escapes from home, wanders the neighborhood and eventually needs to lay an egg, being away from home, it does so in unusual spot and then moves on.
A duck laid the egg (as its nest was not ready yet).
It is not an echidna's egg.

Philip

From: martin butterfield [ Sent: Sunday, 23 September 2007 2:16 PM
To: Canberra Birds  Subject: [canberrabirds] An ovoid puzzle

I have just been wandering in part of our property and came across the egg shown in the attachment.  It is full - whether fertile or not I am not sure.  My first thought was domestic chook, but the egg was located at least 500m from the nearest active chook house.  Also the egg looks rather too "pointy" for a chook.  To give an idea of size the barcoded tag next to it is 60mm long so it is a large egg.  The egg was under a tree but I couldn't see a nest in the tree, and the lowest branch was about 4m above the fairly hard ground.

Does anyone have any ideas (a) what species could have laid this and (b) how it got into this position. We have a good supply of foxes, raptors, currawongs and magpies but I cannot see why they carried it so far to deposit the egg on the ground without eating it.

Martin