canberrabirds

Activities over the last few days

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Activities over the last few days
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:41:01 +1000
Monday: the first Noisy Friar bird of the season was recorded at Carwoola.  Pallid Cuckoos continue to call vigorously.

Tuesday:  I went to do a 20 minute survey of a TSR on Hoskintown Rd south of Bungendore.  It was rather windy and the TSR was well suplied with Noisy Miners so there was little else around.  The highlight was a Little Raven in a nest well up a eucalypt.

Wednesday: Began with a trip to Woologorang to try to re-find the Banded Lapwings reported by Milburn on Sunday.  I was unsuccesful in this endeavour, possibly because of the difficulty of birding from the shoulder of the Barton Highway.  I called in to Rowes Lagoon and it was indeed all happening there.  White-necked and white-faced Herons, Black-winged Stilts, breeding (DY and ON) Black Swans.
In the afternoon I visited Coppins Crossing to see what was occurring in Robin Vale and Finch Central.  Relatively few robins - 2 male and 1 female Flame and 1 Eastern Yellow calling by the river.  At least 20 Red\browed Finch; 6 Double-barred Finch and 3 Diamond Firetail.  Also 1 Speckled Warbler..  Surpisingly no cuckoos.

Martin