canberrabirds

WFHO news & film for COG

To: <>
Subject: WFHO news & film for COG
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 17:15:33 +1000
Well the perfect score has been ruptured. There have been at least 5 people who have been to see the WFHO without success in the last week. Although I think up till then it was as good an opportunity as anyone gets with a 100% success rate until the weather started to warm and the bird became more varied in its routine. I saw it every day except one from 5 July to 31 August. Some of my best film of it was in the last few days. On the weekend all I got was a quick glimpse of what may have been the WFHO fly into the Photinia but we couldn't find it again, one call that I was pretty sure was it but wasn't seen. On Sunday afternoon I'm pretty sure it flew over the house going south at tree top height. The shape, size, pattern and movements were right but it wasn't a good view and I had not seen it fly high above before.

I have over an hour of film of it that needs to be edited down a lot. It shows a good variety of behaviours and includes the calls. Geoffrey Dabb has done a 5 minute DVD of it that has better resolution images than most of mine (with a better quality camera) although unfortunately a lot is of the bird on the day it was tired and trying to sleep (on the first Sunday). Both (mine after editing) or Geoffrey's are I think suitable to show at a COG meeting. Also many members have photos of it. Is anyone interested to see these?