canberrabirds

Swans Breeding

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Swans Breeding
From: "Esme Barker & Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:05:36 +1000
About 2.30 today as we were on our way home from shopping at Tuggeranong, Esme and I were surprised and delighted to see a pair of Black Swans shepherding 6 cygnets along the unmade footpath area on Jim Pike Ave, Gordon (about 100 metres from the junction with Woodcock Ave).

Very reassuringly, after we passed them the oncoming traffic stopped because the lead swan decided it was time to cross the road. We did a U-turn after crossing the dam wall at Pt Hutt Pond and went back, to find that the whole group had crossed the road unscathed and were heading down a grassy slope towards the Pond.

The cygnets were about the size of pigeons - so I don't think they were all that old. The Murrumbidgee at Pt Hutt is probably only 500 or so metres in a straight line from where the group was but its pretty rough country for such small cygnets and I doubt that the nest was there. I rather suspect it was beside a small "ornamental dam" that sits between Woodcock Ave and houses that border Preddey Way. This is still quite a distance from where we saw them (my guess would be 600-700 metres) but its a much easier walk than from the river. And I have noticed the adult swans there a couple of times in the past 2 weeks, although it didn't occur to me that they may be nesting there.

Bruce