canberrabirds

Today's birds: POOW, AUHO, GRCU, BFCS, WFHO, PACU comment.

To: <>
Subject: Today's birds: POOW, AUHO, GRCU, BFCS, WFHO, PACU comment.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:25:39 +1000
This morning: no sign of the White-fronted Honeyeater. I went to the ANBG for a talk at the theatrette at 12.30 p.m. After that at about 2 pm I saw the Powerful Owl at the usual spot. It was awake and preening as I arrived then just sat blinking at watching me and a Crimson Rosella that was looking at it. I watched it alone for about 10 minutes.

After that, whilst driving past Black Mountain Peninsula (Lady Denman Drive) I saw a Aust Hobby and heard a Grey Currawong. Whilst driving past Mt Taylor I saw a pair of Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes (encountered very few of these over the last few years compared to previously).

When I got home at 2.50 p.m. I checked for the the White-fronted Honeyeater. After about 1 minute search, I saw it fly in along Hiles Place then went into the bushes below the Casuarina, "tocking" a lot.

As for Frank's comment: "I don't recall ever hearing Pallid Cuckoos calling at night before but that may be because they don't often come into the suburbs?" Well from the GBS Report, the Pallid Cuckoo ranks as bird number 50, in terms of number of records over the first 21 years of GBS. It depends on your idea of what is meant by "often". I would say that counts as "often". Often enough for it to have been included on the printed list of Version 3 & 4 of the GBS chart.