canberrabirds

Coastal birds

To: "Mark Clayton" <>, "'Julian Robinson'" <>, <>
Subject: Coastal birds
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:34:15 +1000
For what it is worth, I agree with Mark. I can't offer any opinion as to why the Double-banded Plover has a white collar. How many of them do? Is this relevant to the birds that Elizabeth Compston reported on? As for the variation in colouring of the Caspian Tern. I'd suggest it could be related to a difference in the angle of viewing and the direction of the light of the 2 birds, rather than any camera effect or difference between the birds. (Wings of bird on left are in shade.)

Philip

Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 4:05 PM  Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Coastal birds

Hi Julian,

A quick reply, A = Double-banded Plover coming in to breeding plumage before heading off to NZ where they breed, B= Red-capped Plover, possibly female as you suggest, and C= Caspian Tern possibly coming in to breeding plumage. Yes, they are a big tern and that beak can give a painful bite (from experience).

Cheers,

Mark