canberrabirds

White-fronted Honeyeater causes concern

To: <>
Subject: White-fronted Honeyeater causes concern
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:36:35 +1000
Being mostly out & busy yesterday, I only saw the White-fronted Honeyeater briefly. Today several short attempts came to nothing. I was looking at about 2.30 & after about 15 minutes and about to give up and go back inside, thinking "bye bye birdy", the familiar tocking call indicated its arrival. Made me somewhat happier. I watched as it flitted about for a few minutes, so it is still here but now seems to have found some other food source in the direction of Boddington Crescent. Later I found it sitting very still in the Melaleuca or maybe it was hiding all along. The Silvereyes have been in the Grevillea so often this week that they may be diminishing that food source. The WFHO has difficulty chasing out a flock of 10 to 20 Silvereyes. Today marks its week 8 on the GBS chart.