canberrabirds

help! marauding cat.......

Subject: help! marauding cat.......
From: "dj flotek" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:52:38 +0000

If you ask me, cats hunt mostly at night (that is if they are allowed to roam by their owners). Birds are most vulnerable when they are sleeping/not entirely awake. Cat's know where to find these birds, and I dear say that they can smell birds also, and even see them.

I don't know how to answer your problem, I don't think it is your problem alone either. I think a LOT of people are aware and concerned about such issues, but don't bother to make an issue out of it aside from the usual preventative measures within their means, depending ...

If you ask me, I honestly think that if people are to have cats, then they should have a microchip implanted inside their skin, or whatever is the best practice these days. The other thing is that cats should NOT be allowed to go out after dark. There is NOTHING good that can come of it. Then you would have to have people looking for cats as their primary job/duty all night, and how is that going to be paid for, or maybe the "volunteer army" could be called in ...

I suppose the line-of-defence starts in your own backyard, I haven't been able to concoct any scientific remedies that would make the perimeter grow yonder. If anybody has any handy hints, I'd sure like to hear them. I mean, really, how did all the ferral cats get to where they are now ?

So I guess I am having a bit of a spray/speel on the matter in that I think that cats have a negative impact on native fauna, and that people should be responsible about them. On the same token, I wouldn't want to go to crazy with laws, but I do feel the government should do something about it. I mean, a law says more than a neighbour. Hmm.

There's my 5c worth. Passing back to the list for "handy hints" ...