canberrabirds

Crescent HE@ANBG;GC Grebes on LBG

To: <>
Subject: Crescent ;GC Grebes on LBG
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:14:15 +1000
Feeling a little house-bound after illness went to ANBG at midday today where there was a single male Crescent Honeyeater at the bottom end of the Sydney Gully. He is flitting between some Grevillia bushes (sp? very pale green flower but suspect not arenaria) in section 191 just behind the 20km speed limit sign and in the Boobialla bushes (Myoporum acuminata) on the opposite side of the road in section 192. Only heard him call sporadically and only in s.192 bushes from which he hawks insects and preens while calling in the typical full-throated way both the e-gypt, screek and a sort of pid-up call that I've not heard before. Be patient if you are looking for him. He will make himself obvious when he calls. I heard him from near the cafe!

On my way back home in Griffith decided to take Lady Denman Drive around the lake. Just after Black Mountain Penninsula saw what could only be a Great-Crested Grebe. Stuck the flashers on (well, it was an emergency...) and hoofed it back to verify. The bird was swimming towards Acacia Inlet fairly fast and as I drove away drew level with my parking spot in company of another GC Grebe.

Cheers

Shaun