canberrabirds

Swift parrots

To: <>
Subject: Swift parrots
From: "Stephen Mugford" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:14:53 +1000

APOLOGIES IF THIS TURNS UP TWICE: I SENT IT LAST NIGHT BUT SOMEHOW IT DID NOT GET THROUGH SO I’M TRYING AGAIN.

Thanks to John Cummings excellent guidance, Pat O’Malley and I were fortunate to see flocks of about 50 Swifties on Tuesday afternoon at the back of the Mt Druitt shops.

My previous definite sighting a couple of years back was when a large flock almost strafed us en route from A to B and while we were clear what we saw, we hardly got leisurely views. It was quite different this time, with the birds feeding on lerps in the trees for as long as we wanted to enjoy them. Awesome.

John asked us what we thought the trees were—Messmate Stringybark,  Pat thinks, having looked in the Boys Own Book of Aussie Trees. These trees are more common in Vic and Tas (also Swift Parrot strongholds) but they were clearly planted and not naturally occurring and, as maybe they are in Vic and Tas, the birds were very at home feeding in them.

Stephen

BTW: John: thinking about the calls in the night which seem to drop away at dawn which you were discussing when we called your phone, Pat suggests, and I agree, probably Pallid Cuckoo. J

Dr Stephen Mugford

Managing Director

QQSR

PO Box 12