canberrabirds

Blue faced honeyeater in Holbrook [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Blue faced honeyeater in Holbrook [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:15:27 +1000
Thanks for sharing that observation with the list, Jeanie.

While doing the Swift Parrot/Regent Honeyeater survey the weekend before last, in our usual haunts in the Tarcutta area, we saw a Blue-faced Honeyeater in the Kyeamba TSR (between Tarcutta and Holbrook) and then 3 feeding in a grevillea in Tarcutta itself. I was also surprised to see them there too, but checking the Birds Australia atlas find that it is within - albeit near the SE edge of - their regular range. Reporting rates in that area are low.

David

 wrote:
During a stretch break at Holbrook on the way back to Canberra late on
Saturday afternoon, I saw a blue faced honeyeater.  I was standing near the
Ladies toilet (to the north of the submarine) and had a good 10+ seconds to
view the bird in the branches of a nearby deciduous tree, before it flew
northwards and into Holbrook suburbia.

This was a first sighting for me.  I recall the interest that a BFHE
aroused when it tried to enrol at ANU last winter, but I am not sure if a
sighting in Holbrook is just as interesting or to be completely expected.
(Maybe it had lowered its expectations and enrolled in the Holbrook TAFE).
Either way it made the drive home more pleasant!

Cheers

Jeanie Bruce

(my first posting, after a couple of years of reading everyone else's)

including attachments, may contain confidential, sensitive, legally
privileged and/or copyright information.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. DIAC respects your privacy and
has obligations under the Privacy Act 1988. The official departmental
privacy policy can be viewed on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au
See: http://www.immi.gov.au/functional/privacy.htm

List manager: David McDonald, email
<>