canberrabirds

Fw: Easter Island (locally called Rapa Nui) resend

To: <>
Subject: Fw: Easter Island (locally called Rapa Nui) resend
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:43:21 +1000

This is not a birding email but after last night's talk by Denis Saunders some people may be interested in my experience of Easter Island.

I travelled to Easter Island as a stop over on the way to the Antarctic in Jan 2000. When Mark Clayton asked what was the wildlife like my immediate memory was it was 'there was hardly any of it'. Unfortunately my memory must be some where right as when I consulted my now rather ancient Lonely Planet I found the 2 small paragraphs on Flora & Fauna summed up by 'Rapa Nui lacks entire families of plants and is poor in native fauna: even the sea birds are relatively few'.

My Lonely Planet also told me the European name Easter Island came about as a Dutch expedition landed on the island on Easter Sunday. The locals definitely call their island Rap Nui and identify strongly with other Polynesians. There is a lot more information in a very consice form in the LP and I am sure surfing the net will give other such sources.

My interest at the time was in the statues and the people who made them.
Before leaving on the trip I had arranged a tour with resident archaeologists. It was a fabulous tour.

Rapa Nui is an example of what happens when we use up all the resources.

I have attached an instalment that our local news sheet editor twisted my arm to write on my return.
 Julienne K