canberrabirds

Caching food

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Subject: Caching food
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:44:44 +1000
We used to feed the magpies we fed at our South Bruce domicile on Generic Fritz (sorry Devon - I don't want to make the South Australian's homesick) which probably has a similar nutrional status to steakettes.  We sliced it up into strips so that it looked like worms or witchetty grubs.   Although not strictly 'caching' I noticed that the birds would usually wipe the offering several times in the dirt before consuming it.  In contrast the worms extracted from the lawn at our place in Carwoola are inhaled as soon as they are removed from the soil.

I wonder if there is some ingredient in these highly processed items which signals to the magpies that some minerals are needed to balance the fat content?