canberrabirds

Not nest-building 2

To: <>
Subject: Not nest-building 2
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:54:02 +1000

Further to the below, students of the Flying Secateurs might be interested in  an update.  On Thursday the female (olive bib) was down at the shrub level apparently ‘gathering nest material’:

n wip_4761.jpg

The male (black bib) flew down to her, but at that moment a 30-second photographic technical pause occurred (had to change the card).  When I got back to the action, the male was above me, carrying what seemed to be the same material:

n wip_4764.jpg

This was then clipped to size:

n_4768.jpg

As only the female builds the nest, my surmise is that this was some kind of bonding behaviour and nb is still some distance off.

U of N