canberrabirds

Grey Currawong

To: <>
Subject: Grey Currawong
From: "Clifton" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:29:42 +1000
Hi all,
          We have a resident pair of grey currawongs about our house and paddocks.  They are often heard but only occasionally seen around the place, and that is mostly on overcast days.  However, today (a sunny day)  one visited us and gave the verandah pot plants and knicknacks the once over.  We got excellent views from 5m distant.  2 things of note were the size of its beak (it is much longer that the pied currawong) and the way it used its beak.  There were 2 plastic bags of garbage on the verandah and the GC used its closed beak to puncture holes in the bags and them amasingly opened its beak to enlarge the holes.  It was a deliberate manoevre and it was repeated several times. It also used the same technique when inspecting under a small gnarled log.

Finally it tried to pull the wicks out of some candles.

Graeme Clifton
__