canberrabirds

Advanced notice - Iron Range trip

To: <>
Subject: Advanced notice - Iron Range trip
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:19:03 +1000

Good morning all,

As I mentioned at last nights COG meeting the FINAL bird banding trip to Iron Range National Park in north Queensland is scheduled for November 2008. People are welcome to attend, you don’t have to be a bander, it is a case of getting yourself up there. The reason for the very early notification is that with the current fauna laws in Queensland we now need to have Animal Ethics approval to band in that state as well as pay for a banding permit, something not previously required. The bird bander who is responsible for the site, Fred van Gessel, informed me last night that the fee is $450. We are hoping to get at least 20 people to the site who are willing to pay $20 each so that Fred and I don’t have to fork out at least $400 between us (Fred is willing to provide the extra $50 himself). We need to know by the end of this year if you wish to come and are prepared to pay for the privilege as it takes almost a year to get the permits issued. If we don’t get enough people going then the trip will be called off and the opportunity to see many of the Cape York “specials” in the hand will probably never be repeated. Please think carefully before committing yourself. If people want any additional information please contact me off-line.

Thanks,

Mark