canberrabirds

White-fronted Honeyeaters and other nice birds.

To: "pmacnicol" <>, <>
Subject: White-fronted Honeyeaters and other nice birds.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:44:00 +1000
Thanks Peter (and others), This has been a lot of fun and quite a distraction. Many visitors have come to see it but curiously not several identities from Kambah. Oh well. I heard the bird from my bed again this morning. When I was up and dressed and had my cereal I saw someone wandering around outside and went out, introduced myself and said "there it is". Today was the first time I have seen it chasing little flying insects. One thing I was wondering about is its strong habit of mostly feeding at the grevillea flowers at the centre of the bush and rarely at the edges. Does someone who knows about nectar flow know whether the flowers out in the sun maybe dry out quicker and have less nectar than those in the shade? Any comments on that? In the morning the bush is in full sun (with the sun behind as viewed from the path) it is shaded in the afternoon.

Whilst with Peter and Pat, two Maned Ducks (Aust Wood Ducks) flew straight over head. Amazing, I have many times heard them call as they fly over at night, but today was the first time in 23 years here that I have seen one during the day in my GBS area (at least as far as I can recall). Two hours later I went out to get my mail and a Wedge-tailed Eagle flew right over (very low heading north-west). The blue Satin Bowerbird is still around also.

Lastly two people thought I had not given my house number (although it was in the address block) it is 24 (the one mid way between Hiles and Everard Place.