canberrabirds

Lake George/Wollogorang/Rose Lagoon - 30 June

To: COG <>
Subject: Lake George/Wollogorang/Rose Lagoon - 30 June
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:01:45 +1000
I decided to explore the flooded flats and lagoons to the north of Canberra this morning. It was cold (6 degrees) and windy and intermittently wet but I still saw some interesting birds. The most common species were Little Raven, Starling and Magpie.

Rose Lagoon is full of water, at last, with Black Swan, Straw-necked Ibis, Masked Lapwing and ducks, although it is devoid of reeds. At Collector there was a pair of Chestnut Teal.

Lake George has water in the east and many puddles on the highway side with 7 White-faced Herons at one spot. There were over 250 Little Ravens spread out over the flats.

Wet Lagoon Reserve (flooded) had 2 Swamp Harriers, 1 Australian Shelduck and many Black Swans. Along the road a kilometre from the lagoon I found an Emu in a paddock with horses. Then I noticed a single male Red Kangaroo plus 2 females in the same paddock. Would a farmer keep these species?

Along Wollogorang Rd I found 2 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, 1 White-necked Heron sitting on the ground, 3 Australian Shelduck, 1 Brown Falcon and in the distance on Wollogorang Lagoon (full of water now) there were 3 probable Black-winged Stilt.

Parkesbourne Rd, which runs between Parkesbourne and Breadalbane circumventing the Breadalbane Plain, revealed a pair of White-fronted Chats plus Pipits and Skylarks, among a massive expanse of water.

On the way home another Australian Shelduck flew over the Federal Hwy near Wollogorang.

Cheers
Marnix