canberrabirds

Wedge-tailed Eagle central

To: <>
Subject: Wedge-tailed Eagle central
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:17:27 +1000

Good evening all,

After the current spate of Wedge-tailed Eagle sightings over suburban Belconnen I would like to share a small secret that has been kept to myself and the raptor researchers at the University of Canberra. For quite a few years in the past I had noticed W-t E over the Kaleen, Mitchell area and was informed by staff at CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems that the birds were responsible for killing and eating some of the captive Tammar Wallabies held on the CSIRO grounds. Several years ago my back fence neighbour, a former solder who was working at the Belconnen Navy radio transmitting station asked me if I was interested in the location of a Wedgie nest that was in the line of Pinus radiata trees that are found on the ridgeline of the old transmission station. I found this a bit hard to believe as the nest was no more than about 200m from houses in Kaleen. I contacted Jerry Olsen and Esteban Fuentes and asked if they knew of this nest – they didn’t but promptly went to investigate. Sure enough the nest contained 1 young eagle which they promptly banded. I gather talking to my neighbour that the adults were feeding the young bird on kangaroo joeys. They would harass the adult female ‘roos that had pouched young, no mean feat given all the cables holding the transmission towers up, and forced them to “dump” the joey. Bingo, enough tucker to keep the young eagle happy. The chick did fledge but in very poor wet and windy weather and we are not sure if it survived. At the time my neighbour and his colleagues counted over 300 kangaroos in the fenced in base – maybe the eagles were keeping their number in check. There are certainly a lot more there now.

I think it is safe to let the secret out as the birds have not been seen there for quite a while and the old nest is rapidly falling down. With all the recent reports I suggest people keep a close eye on just where these current birds are hanging about – you may have a nest quite close and not know it. I have a small property near Lake George which has a recently built wedgie nest on it. It is also about 150 m from one house on a neighbouring property and 200 from another. This chick was also fed mainly on kangaroo. The species will breed at any time of the year given a reasonable abundance of food, something I learned from Esteban.

Mark