canberrabirds

Wednesday activities

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Wednesday activities
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:43:18 +1000
Despite my concerns about the weather, Wednesday morning was very pleasant for a walk along the banks of the Molonglo.  Nearly all the requested birds turned out for us: flame robins (10) red-capped robins (2 - 1 of each sex), and diamond firetails (6).  No chats nor double barred finches.  Of the other birds 3 species of raptor (wedgetails, brown falcon and Nankeen kestrel) were welcomed by the borders but given a hard time by other species (ravens and a sulphur cretsed cockie attacked the wedgetail, magpies the falcon and welcome swallows the kestrel).  We totalled 30 species for the morning.

In the afternoon I decided (as several others seem to have done) to investigate the ANBG for Little Wattlebird.  I had no luck with that but was rewarded with a good array of other honeyeaters - including more, and more widespread, New Holland HE than I have seen for a while in the Gardens- Varied Sitella and Eastern Yellow Robin.  Also a god look at the powerful owl in the higher roost.  My overall impression was that the Gardens were beginning to resume their former glory with a few decent rainfalls.  Certainly many species of plant seemed to be starting to flower or about to flower.

Finally, as we turned off the Kings Highway there was a sign saying Briars Sharrow Rd - the easy way to Hoskintown - was under water.  It certainly was.  On speaking to the SES person on duty the Captains Flat Dam has topped the spillway so there is now a good flow coming down the Molonglo.

Martin