canberrabirds

Very noisy miners

To: "Cog line" <>
Subject: Very noisy miners
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:50:43 +1000
Since we have moved to Carwoola there have always been noisy miners in the upper reaches of our block.  Last Friday I ran home from the intersection of Captains Flat Road and the Kings Highway and colonies of miners were about the most common bird along the route.  However I had not recorded them in my GBS site.

That changed this morning with a flock of 25 coming and yelling raucously in the yellow box in our lawn.  They certainly justified the first word in their name.

This is the 10th observation of a flock of >20 birds in the GBS.  Interestingly (well, I thought it interesting) 4 of the other observations, each from a single site, were before year 7 and the other 5 were in years 22 - 24 from 3 sites.  Several of the sites which reported the large flocks were reporting in the middle "empty period" so this pattern can't be explained solely by change of reporting sites.

Martin