canberrabirds

Wednesday walk and other obs

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Wednesday walk and other obs
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:03:44 +1000
This morning's walk went along the Molonglo from near the Hospice to the Dairy Road bridge and then through Duntroon.  We saw 34 species and i have attached my records for the interest of participants.  For several species largish numbers of birds were seen including a flight of about 40 little black cormorants, 23 straw-necked ibis grazing in the cattle paddocks on the far side of the River  along with at least 6 cattle egrets and a flock of about 120 galahs over Duntroon.  We didn't find the babbler but the sight of a wedgetailed eagle overhead made up for that.

On my way in to town for a lunchtime run I found about 30 straw-necked ibis grazing in Commonwealth Park with the straws of breeding plumage very evident.  My running course was designed to fit in a powerful owl view and very fine it was too.  As Ruth Parker commented the owl was not at all disturbed by the viewers, and as far as I could tell everyone was doing an excellent job of keeping to the paths.

Later in the afternoon I called in at Newline and was initially disappointed at the few birds around.  Then I found the "magic spot" and was rewarded with 2 jacky winters, 2 brown treecreepers wandering around at my feet and a crested shrike-tit busying itself in the tree overhead.

Martin