canberrabirds

Powerful owl in ANBG

To: <>
Subject: Powerful owl in ANBG
From: "Kathy Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 17:28:03 +1000

Having been away for the last 2 days, we finally visited the Powerful Owl this afternoon. This was just after Ian Fraser’s excellent description of its voice and behaviour, as well as that of the two most common owls in the ACT (Boobook and Barn owl), on his Natural History segment on 666.  There was no one else present for the couple of minutes we admired the specimen, and for most of the time the owl had its eyes closed.  Re Susan’s Robertson’s comment, I believe the most important thing is to get the general public interested and excited about having such an unusual and special bird in the middle of our city.  This is likely to have a much greater flow-on effect in terms of conservation etc, and Ian and 666 are doing the community an excellent service in this regard.  Ian was also encouraging callers to let him know of other owl sightings, which will provide another source of invaluable knowledge about the movements of these little known birds.

Kathy