canberrabirds

Shepherds Lookout 26 April 2007

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Shepherds Lookout 26 April 2007
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:52:09 +1000
0700 hours today I arrived at Shepherds Lookout carpark. A little way down the bitumen path towards the lookout, in a clump of scrubby eucalypt regrowth, saw a mixed flock comprising six Southern Whitefaces, about ten Yellow-rumped Thornbills, a few less Buff-rumped Thornbills, two White-throated Gerygones, four Superb Blue Fairywrens, two Grey Fantails, a Willy Wagtail and a smattering of Striated Pardalotes and Sivereyes. Nearby, high on a dead branch, perched seven Tree Martins, surprised to see them here in late April.

At the lookout saw at least forty Magpie Larks stringing across the sky. Descended the "Golden Stairs" and caught a five-second view of an Eastern Whipbird calling and cavorting in a riverside shrub. Here and there, saw four Flame Robins perched on  fences living up to their name - breasts glowing like hot coals in the early morning sun.

Kept checking the sky for raptors as I always do in the area, and noticed a Whistling Kite soaring on high. After two minutes it drew out of sight. Only other raptor was a female Nankeen Kestrel sitting on top of a dead White Cypress Pine. In a River Sheoak about twenty European Goldfinches combed through the foliage gleaning I-know-not-what. Interestingly, two metres above the goldfinches, a group of Red-browed Finches was hard at work. Watched for ten minutes and noticed the two groups maintained their respective levels.

In reedy grass, near the river, I identified a pair of Golden-headed Cisticolas, the male still in his breeding plumage. This is a "first" on my Shepherds Lookout records. On the way back, near the carpark, saw 14 Crested Pigeons feeding on bare ground. Five metres from the cresteds was a group of five Rock Doves and, three metres from the rockers, a lone, yellow-plumaged Cockateil  fed. I wish it luck, because the fact it was on its Pat Malone, coupled with its mellow-yellow plumage probably makes it a prime objective for a raptor's repast.

Stopped at the farm dam on the Pine Ridge property adjacent to Stockdill Drive. The usual gaggle of domestic honkers, a few Wood Ducks and a White-faced Heron. Ho-hum. But this little dam is always worth a quick recce 'cause it sometimes produces a surprise. And today it surprised me with a pair of Australian Shelducks. Ain't never seen shelducks in the west Canberra area before.

Later, received a text message from Linda-brat at Uni of Canberra, "currawong o/side window dismembing (sic) wite plume hon eta (sic again)". Trust she was paying attention to lecture.

John K. Layton