canberrabirds

West Macgregor [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: West Macgregor [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:48:03 +1000
I went to Western McGregor at 3pm-5
Saw at least 3 diamond firetails and probably 5. They were mainly down
near the sewerage works. But I was surprised they flew quite large
distances, over 150 meters on quite a few occasions. When walking back I
flushed 4 zebra finches that settled in a  tree for only a few seconds
then disappeared. My impression from my short glimpse was 1 adult male,
2 immature and not sure about the other. I saw the bird with the
partially red cheeks and it looked like a young male. Also seen 2
scarlet robins and quite a few flame robins, at least 7 YR thornbills.
Probably 2 nankeen kestrels seen at a distance, and 1 brown falcon.
Closer to dusk 2 closely connected, large flocks of Red wattlebirds came
streaming through, West to East, the first was ~110 birds and the second
had 22, basically making the overall flock over 130 birds. This is the
most I have seen in a flock by far.
The grassland south of the dirt road looks pretty native, mainly
kangaroo grass and red grass and I am not sure why it has not been
mentioned in the grassland strategy. It's a big area. A local told me,
this area is to be developed, recently sold.
Benj