canberrabirds

Sacred Kingfisher and visit to Kellys Swamp

To: "COG chat group" <>
Subject: Sacred Kingfisher and visit to Kellys Swamp
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:51:03 +1000
Sat. April 14, 0700h. Looked out kitchen window and saw a Sacred Kingfisher perched on Hills hoist five metres away. Watched a good five minutes before it took wing and speared off over neighbour's roof. Checked bird books and believe it was an immature bird. Could count - without having to remove shoes- number of Sacred Kingfisher sightings here over past 15 years.

Sun. April 15, 1600h. Bratz and me hied off to Kellys Swamp to see the Grey Falcon but no luck. Saw pair of Black-shouldered Kites hovering in close proximity to one another. I'm led to believe this could indicate they have dependent young as they're sometimes autumn breeders hereabouts.

Went to dead willows where Satin Bowerbirds were reported but no SBs. However, saw three European Greenfinches which was cause for excitement in Bratdom as it was an addition to their life-lists. Near the carpark, a slender snake, about 40cm long scrabbled across the bike path. I say scrabbled because it was having difficulty gaining purchase on the smooth surface. It was light fawn with dark bands. We tentatively identified it as a young Common Brown Snake. Bit late in the season to see 'em at large?

John K. Layton