canberrabirds

Weddin Mountains- no Hooded Robins, Brown Treecreepers, Gilbert's Whistl

Subject: Weddin Mountains- no Hooded Robins, Brown Treecreepers, Gilbert's Whistlers, Turquoise Parrots, Double bar Finches or Spotted Firetails sighted
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:12:10 +1000
We walked about 40km in a series of walks from Easter Friday afternoon to Monday at about 10.30am, birding as we went. Most of that time was spent along creek lines (the Basin walk, Black Gin Gully, Wentworth Gully) but we also walked the length of the Weddin Gap fire trail and spent a fair bit of time along the hill tops East of the Ben Hall camp ground and South/South-east of the Weddin Gap fire trail. We camped for the three nights at the Ben Hall Camp Ground, keeping the binocs handy. Light was excellent but there was a lot of wind which made birding difficult. We heard no nocturnal birds - but it was often very windy at night. We saw 52 species in the park and a further seven species on nearby road sides and in the Bimbi State Forest, but (and despite keeping a special lookout for them) did not see Hooded Robins, Brown Treecreepers, Gilbert's Whistlers, Turquoise Parrots, Spotted Firetail Finches or the heathwren. Quite disappointing. Three quarters of the park was burned January a year ago and, while there has been some germination from recent rain events, the countryside is still in the grip of drought. Small groups of stock and no crops, with sand drifts across at least one of the roads near the park. There were scattered pools of water along all creek lines we visited. Best bird was a female Peregrine Falcon mobbing a Wedge-tailed Eagle, and it was good to see several lots of Speckled Warblers, a group of White-browed Babblers and a group of Grey-crowned Babblers and two lots of Southern Whitefaces. We saw quite a few Swamp Wallabies - probably a Red-necked Wallaby, not all that many Greys and a single hare. There was a fair bit of turned earth but not sure if that was feral pigs.
Con