canberrabirds

Rainbow Lorikeets [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:42:38 +1000

Today I saw 15 Rainbow lorikeets in Hawker, at the Park between Woolner and Ambalindum Sts. Although I didn’t have my binos it appeared there were at least 6 juveniles/immatures with short tails and dark beaks although none were begging. They left in sub-flocks of 8 heading NE towards Hawker shops, and a group of 5 and 2 heading East to Maroak St. I believe 15 is the biggest flock ever recorded in ACT.

Last week I thought I saw at least 9 rainbow lorikeets settling down to roost at the end of Dungowan St. But couldn’t confirm the numbers. So it is good I could confirm with the above. The end of Dungowan St is SW Hawker (next to Pinnacle NP) and is probably where they breed. They spend a lot of time near Hawker Primary, probably where the original birds escaped from many years ago.

Their home range appears to be at least 3/4s of Hawker (SE, NE and SW) with forays into Scullin, Weetangera and I saw 2 birds 2 times in Macquarie. That seems like quite a big home range to me, although they are nectar feeders so they probably have to go where the food is.

Benj Whitworth