canberrabirds

Godwit sets new record

Subject: Godwit sets new record
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:26:28 +1000 (EST)
I'm forwarding this from the Birding-NZ list as I imagine it will be of
interest to many on Canberrabirds.  As mentioned in the email I forwarded
a week or two ago, you can check on the progress of the migrating
satellite-tagged gobwits at
http://www.werc.usgs.gov/sattrack/shorebirds/overall.html but you do need
to have Google Earth on your computer.

Frank

One of the Firth of Thames' satellite-tagged godwits has touched down at
Yalu Jiang in the northern Yellow Sea on China. The distance between
Miranda and Yalu Jiang (9575 km) is impressive enough, but the track that
this bird took covered at least 11,026 km of non-stop flight. This is
potentially the longest tracked non-stop flight of any bird in the world,
beating even the 10,800 km flight recorded on a southward migrating godwit
last year.

It's fair to say that we are all pretty blown away by the performance of
these birds!

Cheers, Phil

Phil Battley
Ecology Group
Massey University
Private Bag 11-222
Palmerston North
New Zealand

Note: I will be moving to Massey in mid-April 2007

Phone (home) +64 9 298 9011

www.nzshorebirds.com