canberrabirds

swifts

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, <>
Subject: swifts
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:04:41 +1100
I've seen some this summer but that is not the point of me responding. Towards the end of their time in Aus., they sometimes indulge in aerial chasing and vocalisations in a manner that appears to look like pair formation. I observed this once at Tuggeranong Hill (ACT) and wrote this up in 1988 as "Chasing and vocalisation by White-throated Needletails", CBN 13(4):130-131 and Ken Simpson & D.J. Noonan wrote it up in Emu 67: 27-31. Funny thing is that whilst my article is mentioned at least twice in HANZAB, this is for relatively uninteresting reasons (the sounds they make) and the Emu article is not listed at all therein (I find HANZAB quite inconsistent in coverage) and there does not appear to be any mention of their social behaviour in HANZAB. I have only vague recollection of ever having seen this social behaviour one other time, which is odd as it is so dramatic to see.