canberrabirds

South Coast (17-19 March)

To: COG <>
Subject: South Coast (17-19 March)
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:11:03 +1100
We spent the long weekend at Racecourse Beach near Kioloa. Some birds of interest included a Hooded Plover, a Red-capped Plover, 6 Sooty Oystercatchers, an Eastern Reef Egret and a Wedge-tailed Eagle at Bullpup Beach and 3 Double-banded Plovers at Racecourse Beach. In Murramarang NP at the rainforest crossing along Forest Rd where Ian saw the Bazas recently we lucked out but did find a male Rose Robin, Large-billed Scrubwren, Brown Gerygones, a Bassian Thrush (calling) and 2 Rufous Fantails.

We also saw plenty of White-throated Needletails: >16 at Bungendore (17/3), >20 at Racecourse Beach (18/3) and >40 at Murramarang Aboriginal Area (18/3). The birds at Racecourse Beach spent two hours (5.30-7.30pm ) whizzing over our heads and the cabin.

Cheers
Marnix