canberrabirds

Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: Paul Tyerman <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:45:30 +1100
Howdy All,

I'm only new to this list as of late last week. I'm not sure whether or not people want introductions..... but here's one anyway.

I'm Paul Tyerman... married to Yvonne with only one child (our dog, which is called Elf). No kids of the human variety. My garden is in Higgins. It is predominantly exotics and has been designed to flower throughout the year. I am a particular lover of bulbs and perennials, so lots of things end up appealing to the birds. It is basically a cottage garden, with bigger shrubs here and there and paths and stepping stones throughout. we do get a number of bird species in the garden and I am always on the lookout for plants which are bird attractant, particularly anything that flowers in winter. As well as the regular flowers we have 3 bird baths to allow different species to use different baths. Generally everything gets along in most cases, although sometimes they are in a holding pattern waiting for each other to finish (i.e some in the water, some on the arch nearby, some on the roof etc).

As to what birds I get in my garden..... I don't record what and when (but perhaps should be doing so, so that I get some idea of what is seen when in the year) but we regularly get (in no particular order) magpies, wattle birds, blue wrens, white-browed scrub wrens, Eastern Spinebills, grey flycatchers (certain times of the year), crimson rosellas, eastern rosellas on occasions, sulphur crested cockatoos, blackbirds (curse, damn, etc), currawongs (also curse, damn etc.... when they moved into the area the bird numbers dropped considerably. Their numbers just seem to be out of control), thornbills, silver eyes, noisy friars (very infrequent, but we do see them enough to call them "regular"), crested pigeons..... and I'm sure I've forgotten a couple of things.

We also irregularly get white plumed honeyeaters, yellow faced honey eaters (this spring/ early summer was the first time we had regularly seen them in the garden), pardalotes, golden whistler (once!!), pallid cockoo, pee wee (is this a magpie lark, or something like that?), Mynas (very seldom. Had only seen single individuals twice before this summer when there were actually a few in the garden at one point to use the bird bath for a drink)

The reason I actually came to be here on the list is that last week I found a juvenile fan-tail cuckoo for the first time ever (first time for the species, not just first time for a juvenile). I ended up talking to Jenny about it and she was most helpful, and I subscribed to this list. I'm still not exactly sure what i should or shouldn't be reporting so I'll probably keep quiet so as not to provide unnecessary chatter. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Higgins, ACT.