canberrabirds

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos and Muck Ducks

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos and Muck Ducks
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:00:39 +1100
In the last 2 weeks, I have had small groups of YTBCs (2-5) over my house in Weston most days, especially mornings.  Also have seen more small flocks in a number of places around town, more than in recent months - a group of 8 flew over the Opera by the Lake on northern side of Lake Burley Griffin around 6pm last night.  I have also had Gang-gangs back again around my garden in the last few days, after very few sightings in recent months.

On another matter, COG has been concerned about water extraction from Yerrabi Pond in Gungahlin for beautification use in the Forde development, and impacts of shrinking water levels on Musk Duck breeding there on the islands - which has failed this year.  COG wrote to ACTEWAGL (who issue the water extraction licenses), about this in January after Joe Foreshaw brought it to my notice.  Rosslyn Beeby, Canberra Times, is now doing an article on Musk Ducks and this issue, which should be in tomorrow's paper.   Should be a good read and it might get us a quicker response from the authorities.
cheers
Jenny