canberrabirds

Black Cockatoos

To: "'Cog line'" <>
Subject: Black Cockatoos
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:55:35 +1100

Gday Anthony

So far as I’m concerned you’d need an expert to age this bird.  I’m confident that it’s not a male (eye ring) or (probably) an adult female (bill colour – not ‘bone white’).

These birds are not ‘black’.  They are ‘blackish-brown’, the colour appearing browner when exposed to strong light, whether sunlight or flash.

I can report the following about it:

·          Giving a repeated rasping call that might be labelled ‘begging’ or ‘complaining’ (consider courtship begging)

·         Tail markedly shorter – by about a quarter – than other adults in party (query moult)

·         Eye-ring grey-black

·         Bill grey-white, marked darker grey

·         Some outer undertail coverts  marked on outer side (not tipped) pale yellow

More detailed images below.  G

ytbc J comp.jpg