canberrabirds

mystery bay, black shouldered kites

Subject: mystery bay, black shouldered kites
From: William Compston <>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:09:55 +1100
We stayed at cottages at Mystery Bay Sat 3rd--Tues 6th.  A pair of black
shouldered kites were resident in the vicinity and spent much time either
hovering and searching, sometimes catching prey on the ground. One caught a
large rat.  They frequently perched in either one of two gum trees close to
the cottages.  There was a nest in one of the trees but we did not see
either bird go to it. I believe that these birds could try to raise a
family, as late as this?

Also we saw, on the bank of Corunna Inlet NE from bridge, both sacred and
azure kingfishers, a wonga pidgeon, a whip bird and what we are pretty sure
was a juvenile night heron-- a bit far away

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Compston
8 Wells Gardens
Griffith, ACT 2603