canberrabirds

The familiar kwekk

To: <>
Subject: The familiar kwekk
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:42:49 +1100

One of the annual migratory happenings has begun over the last few days:  the movement of Dollarbird families into the suburbs before they head north.  This has been a regular late-January event around here for several years.  We now have a family with at least two young, the latter with green-grey bills.  I expect them to be around for at least three weeks.   In past years they could find more food in the leafy suburbs than in the dry woodlands, although whether they can do so in these dry times is another question.

They are certainly obvious, with their brittle ‘kwekk’ and the insistent ‘nak-nak-nak-nak’’ of the young.  Their liking for exposed perches is satisfied by the bare tops of the suburban birches, most of these suffering from the usual die-back.

I remember that after the fires in Jan 03 many observers attributed Dollarbird arrivals to the destruction of woodland.  Perhaps that year they were seen in suburbs where they had not been seen previously, but the one or two families around here then were no more than the usual.  It is one of the pleasant garden episodes of the year.