canberrabirds

bird strikes at Canberra Airport

To: <>
Subject: bird strikes at Canberra Airport
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:56:24 +1100
Hi All,

As there has been some writings on this I thought I should add some actual (though quite dated) information, based on copying some old messages to this list. This is derived from an unpublished report (1990) of mine entitled "A review of the use and effectiveness of methods for reducing bird strikes at and around airports."  This was completed as part of my Habitat Management post graduate unit in my graduate diploma in resource management.

Martin wrote: "Reading the offending report says that there has never been a case of bird strike involving water birds - BUT THERE MIGHT BE!!" Well I don't know if there has been a case of bird strike involving water birds in Canberra. However there most certainly been large numbers of them in Australia. My report collates the statistics over all identified (or not identified) species over all of Australia for 1983 to 1988, this being the period for which the Civil Aviation Authority was collecting and publishing annual reports on the subject. Anyone who wishes to see this can ask me to borrow it to photocopy it. It is 53 pages long.

Then again you may care to also ask Birds Australia Sydney Office, who have been involved with the project at Sydney airport more recently than that.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Murray Emma <>To: <m("topica.com","canberrabirds");">>
Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2002 16:36  Subject: [cog-l] bird strikes at Canberra Airport

I was wondering if anyone could help me with an interesting topic I am completing for a Wildlife Management course.

I am specifically looking at the problem of bird strikes (ie planes hitting birds or vice versa) at Canberra airport.

Are there any land uses or environments around Canberra Airport that attract large numbers of birds? and what types of birds like the environments found within and around the airport?

Cheers
Emma

My reply to Emma and cog list......

I completed a study on exactly this, several years ago whilst at Canberra University. This addressed these topics though not just for Canberra, (Sydney, Townsville & Adelaide had far greater bird problems than Canberra). There are many references on this topic, though mostly outside Australia. There have been several human fatalities & planes lost due to bird strike outside Australia though I am not aware of any in Australia. My knowledge of this makes things a bit awkward, for me to help you too much. It is hardly appropriate for me to just give you what I did, but then I am sure there is a lot more information since then, that you can add to your research. Also the relevant Gov. dept did formerly have a section that monitored this issue, staffed by former COG members: Peter Davidson, Alison Rowell & Felix Schlager. They issued annual reports of bird strike statistics and hazards at all Australian airports for about ten years up until about 1987. I summarised these by groupings of bird types according to likely risk factors. The only Australian reference book I know of on the subject is: G.F. van Tets, W.J.M. Vestgens, A.H. D'Andria & R. Barker, 1977 "Guide to the recognition of aerodrome bird hazards" Australian Department of Transport & AGPS. ISBN: 0 642 01313 6. I have this book at home.