canberrabirds

Uriarra Station observations

Subject: Uriarra Station observations
From: COG Lists Manager <>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:40:43 +1100
Yesterday I visited the area near the junction of Uriarra & Brindabella Roads, looking for the WF Chats that had been reported there, but dipped on them.

Two other interesting obs, though:
- In the shallow, upstream part of the Uriarra Station dam was a family of Aust Grebes: mum, dad and two tiny, striped chicks, one of which took a ride on mum's back. Cute. - Hanging on a fence along Brindabella Road, in the direction of Canberra, was a large bird. It seemed to have caught its foot in the top fencing wires which were crossed, fallen, and died there very recently. At first I could not recognise it: all black but not a Raven, quite a bit larger than ravens, with some lovely deep red breast feathers. On closer inspection it turned out to be a chook - a rooster. Sad. I decided not to record it on my COG data sheet on the basis that it was more likely to be a wandering domestic chook than a feral Jungle Fowl ;-)

David