canberrabirds

NSW South Coast (30/12 - 1/1)

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: NSW South Coast (30/12 - 1/1)
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:14:16 +1100
Im just back from 3 days on the south coast at Bermagui. Between the heavy rains I managed to do some birding. Highlights were 2 Buff-banded Rails at the Bermagui River Conservation Area and a single Baillon's Crake, a Latham's Snipe and at least 2 Little Grassbirds (heard) at Bermagui Lagoon Flora & Fauna Reserve. Also nesting Red-browed Finches (4). We stayed directly opposite the lagoon.

On Saturday afternoon we watched a lone large Fur Seal frolicking in Bermagui harbour. It would surface metres from fishing boats playfully flipping fish/octupus it had caught. Bird highlights around Bermagui included Caspian Tern (2), Eastern Reef Egret (2), Eastern Curlew (6), Bar-tailed Godwit (30), Figbird (1), Pied Oystercatcher (2) and Crested Tern (>230).

There were many large Smooth Stingrays, Eagle Rays and Stingarees around the harbour. We also watched an Octopus hunting today at the Narooma boardwalk.

On the drive home we stopped at Pipers Lookout (Brown Mtn) in SE Forests NP. We had great views of a vocal male Olive Whistler. Also a male Rose Robin, Pilotbirds, a recently fledged Brown-headed Honeyeater being fed by adult birds, and the forest was alive with Crescent Honeyeaters.

Cheers
Marnix