canberrabirds

O blackbird! Welcome back!

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: O blackbird! Welcome back!
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:24:35 +1100
We have a charming little book tersely titled Songbirds. The right-hand pages show an illustration of a British songbird, the left-hand pages contain a relevant poem or piece of prose.

The picture of a Common Blackbird is accompanied by:

O blackbird, what a boy you are!
How you do go it.

This quote is attributed to some quill-pushing old dude called T. E. Brown.

To cut to the chase, I recently mentioned a vociferous male blackbird that sings from atop a power pole fifty metres from the back door. I mentioned it because it's the first singing blackbird we've noticed in the area since mid-October.

At 5 PM today I was working in the back yard when the vociferous bird landed on a power cable ten metres away and burst into song. And he sang, and he sang, ad infinitum. He sang in three-second bursts, paused for about seven seconds and issued forth again. Seventy-five minutes later, when I went indoors, 'Boy' was still 'going it'.

Ensuing dinner-table chatter and clatter of clamorous bratz, accompanied by the TV news, and me yelling, "Quite, girls! I want to hear about Shane Warne's retirement!" cancelled out Boy's song. I looked out at 8:00 PM and the blackbird was sitting quietly on the cable resting his syrinx. Sometimes, I wish my little minks would rest their syrinx.

John Layton